Member Letters Regarding LRT

Below are letters to the SCC President from our members regarding the position this council should take on Hamilton’s LRT project. Please consider an SCC statement in support of Hamilton LRT. The transformation of our busy corridors will almost certainly address many neighbourhood concerns; excess vehicle lane capacity will be reallocated, Main Street will become 2 way, transit will gain priority as a travel mode, through trucks could be re-routed, speeding and noise will be reduced, underused properties will be redeveloped, to name a few. The inconvenience and disturbance of construction is easily tolerable when considering the outcome will be street repurposed with rapid transit, supporting increased density, improved land use, more efficient and environmentally sound travel options, greater neighbourhood vitality, and a renewed public realm. LRT will help Strathcona overcome its most negative elements, the overbuilt urban through highways denying us a truly livable community. We must not pass up this rare opportunity of a billion dollar investment from the province. Thank you, Jason Morse We are both proponents of the LRT and accept that the city chose King St. over alternate routes. As to the LRT, it’s true that some businesses will be affected during construction, but that isn’t unique to the LRT. Even sewer or road repair is going to affect nearby businesses. Loyal customers will keep visiting their favourite stores and perhaps the SCC can encourage people across the area to buy from these businesses, as well as Strathcona residents, to share the burden placed on them. As to people walking, using buses etc., there are alternate routes and buses will have detours presumably. I...

SCC Executive Meeting [DRAFT] — June 08, 2015

This is a working draft. Minutes will be approved/adjusted at the July 2015 Executive Meeting Download as PDF: SCC Minutes June 2015 V3 MINUTES SCC Executive Meeting Monday, June 8, 2015 7PM – Zion United Church Rec Centre   Meeting commenced:  7:05PM   Present:  Mike, Michelle, Anne, Raychyl, Councillor Johnson, Ryan, Celeste, Jonathan, Dominic, Connie Regrets:  Santo, David, Greg, Ed Late Arrival:  Jessica (8:15PM) Absent:  Maggie, Jen, Mark, Krist, Patti, Christine, Lee, Jason, Monica   Additions to Agenda: Social Media Officer (as per Connie), terminology of Executive members on website/SCC correspondence (as per Connie), approval of April Minutes (as per Connie)   Approval of Minutes: From May:    to be added to the July agenda From April:  to be added to the July agenda   Topics:   Item #1, Ward One Update: Councillor Johnson re-iterated the news that the City of Hamilton will get LRT (from Main/Osler to the Queenston traffic circle); proposed operational by 2020 Councillor Johnson put forth a motion for the City to spend $300,000 on upgrading the very hard-working, load-bearing pillars at Dundurn Castle Plans are in motion now to improve the lighting at Dundurn Castle Park; expecting input from Heritage Committee to ensure lighting dovetails with the existing grounds Dundurn bus route issue is still active but no update at this moment; SCC reports no advancement with partnership with KNA at this point in time; Dominic has a petition related to this issue; Councillor Johnson stated that petitions are helpful in these instances   A motion to add an online survey to the SCC website on the Dundurn bus route issue was made, voted upon, but subsequently...

SCC Executive Meeting [DRAFT] — May 12, 2015

This is a working draft. Minutes will be approved/adjusted at the July 2015 Executive Meeting. Download as PDF: SCC minutes may 2015 Strathcona Community Council General Meeting May 12, 2015   Chair: Jonathon Therien In attendance: Celeste, Anne Marie, Raychel, Dominic, Michelle Regrets: David, Ryan, Commie, Mike, Ed, Maggie, Brian, Jen, Mark Regrets also sent by Sgt Ciarmoli and Clr Johnson   Item #1: Featured Guests from Environment Hamilton, Jen Baker and Juby Website: hamiltonparadise.org Phone: 905-549-0900 The guests came to talk about the pollinator project in Victoria Park, which was known as the Butterfly Garden. This project is the brainchild of the Hamilton Naturalist Club and Environment Hamilton. The idea is to create a pollinator centre which includes butterflies and bees and any other of the Creator’s creatures that would contribute to pollination. The emphasis is planting native plants. This is the flagship project and Victoria Park has been chosen as the launch site. Paul O’Hara, a landscape designer, who has a local business, Blueoak Native Landscapes on Locke Street, is the designer. He is a specialist in native plants. The girls brought a picture of the proposed design. Michelle asked the question:   How did Mr O’Hara land the contract? The guests did not know about the selection process. The proposed project has approximately $12,000 in funding. Around $3,000 came from the Participatory Budget project, most of the monies had been raised independently and the source(s) were not disclosed. They noted that Clr Johnson may have access to other funding pots. They brought forward June 13, 2015 as the launch date and they brought a flyer they have been handing...

SCC Executive Meeting — April 13, 2015

Download as PDF: SCC Minutes April 2015 MINUTES SCC Executive Meeting Monday, April 13, 2015 7PM – Zion United Church Rec Centre   Meeting commenced:  7:05PM   Present:  Ed, David, Anne, Michelle, Santo, Connie, Celeste, Mike Regrets:  Ryan, Raychyl, Councillor Johnson, Brian, Jonathan, Jessica Late Arrival:  Dominic (after PBAC meeting same night) Absent:  Maggie, Jen, Mark, Krist, Patti, Christine, Lee, Jason, Monica, Greg   Additions to Agenda: None   Approval of Minutes:   From September:  in abeyance (as per December Minutes “Minutes of last official meeting not approved.  Members who attended last meeting were not in attendance this evening.”   December’s Minutes were inadvertently re-approved instead of September’s Minutes.  Jonathan, please add to May Agenda.   Motion by Celeste:  To approve March Minutes Seconded by:   Mike Carried.   Topics:   Item #1, Recap of Screen Off the Green & Copyright issue: About 100 in attendance.  Jonathan, please add Expenditures to May Agenda.  Additional expenses mentioned that weren’t previously discussed.  Dale Brown communicating with Audio Cine regarding copyright fees invoice. Consensus agreed that the SCC needs to be apologetic and cooperative.   Jonathan’s Notes: Previous information on copyright law said if we owned the film and charged nothing to view we were permitted.  Perhaps the law has changed. Dale Brown of Aidan Johnson’s office is looking into it as well.   Item #2, Recap, Strathcona “Easter” Egg Hunt: Jonathan, please add Expenditures to May Agenda.  Approx.  50-60 children attended; including adults around 100.  Good feedback; coffee appreciated.  Dominic, can you please send Connie an update on the Oxford component.  SCC needs to start earlier next year in planning process and needs to...
Page 1 of 5512345...102030...Last »

Newsletter Subscription

Enter your email address to sign up for our neighbourhood update emails from our executive.

Sign Up

Our Latest Tweets